I’m new to this blogging thingy, so won’t get it right all of the time, and don’t be surprised if the format changes as I learn more about how all this works, particularly as I am a very private person and actually fear ‘putting myself out there’ as a rule. One of my sisters Jess, has said to me many times that we must do things that we fear every day. So here goes, time to embrace what is way beyond my comfort zone!
I’m not an academic, nor am I an expert or an authority on any particular subject. I’m just a person that gets excited about a good story in whichever format that comes to me. I love to read and I try to do the best I can to stay informed with the time that I have.
Why am I doing this?
• To provide a communication tool and record for our Quarterly Bookclub
• To provide short on-point book reviews
• To provide a space for exploring thoughts and ideas through various reference resources and/or reading materials
There will be three sections to this forum:
1. Quarterly Bookclub
2. Off the Shelf Reviews
3. Let’s Talk Topics
We meet every three months to discuss the prescribed book and select the next book and date
• I will provide a wrap up of our gathering
• Join in the conversation and post your own thoughts on the discussion and/or post your own review of the prescribed book.
Off the Shelf Reviews:
Join me in between each Quarterly Bookclub by posting paragraph long reviews on books you’ve read using the following method:
Add a blog post with the title, author, blurb, bibliography, pages, genre.
Add your review as a comment.
Restrict your reviews to a dozen or so lines, brevity is a valuable skill.
Be frank but fair, but do not personally attack other reviewers or the authors.
All contributions that are not in the spirit of what we are trying to achieve will be deleted and this will be at my sole discretion.
Periodically I will post discussion topics to explore an experience, social commentary, random idea or thought.
Feel free to contact me directly with an idea or contribution for this section and I will do my best to be inclusive and provide a timely response.
There will be two parts to engaging in the ‘Conversations’ section:
1. Post comments, but please be mindful that this forum is about genuine engagement and curiosity in order to seek understanding and evolvement. We don’t need to agree, but we do need to be respectful.
2. Provide relevant reading resources, publications, journal articles, essays, poetry and podcasts or anything that you feel may genuinely add varied and valuable materials to these discussion topics.
Again I want to be clear that any contributions that are not in the spirit of what we are trying to achieve will be deleted and this will be at my sole discretion.
I hope you find something of value here,